AR applications in the automotive industry
The automotive industry is not just a highly competitive sector, it is also facing a complex process of transition towards e-mobility and environmental sustainability. In this context, a focus on technological innovation is fundamental, adopting advanced solutions such as augmented reality (AR) applications.
AR is already widely used in the automotive industry, especially in vehicles through devices such as augmented reality head-up display. However, the real revolution comes thanks to AR applications in the automotive industry, from employee training to optimising design, manufacturing and maintenance processes.
AR: the future of the automotive industry
Augmented reality is a technology that allows digital content to be integrated into the physical world, adding information and virtual objects in a real context. Reality is enhanced through digitisation in a way that has the potential to bring numerous benefits to the automotive sector.
In recent years, the use of AR technologies has been primarily focused on the user driving experience, but augmented reality can also contribute to improving manufacturing and business processes. In particular, AR systems can help reduce costs, improve safety and increase productivity, saving time, resources and human capital for companies in the sector.
One example is provided by AR headsets, wearable devices that allow communication between field and remote users. These technologies make it possible to carry out inspections and maintenance with the support of remotely connected experts, or to manage training centrally without compromising quality and reducing costs.
Augmented reality applications in the automotive industry
AR applications in the automotive sector have the potential to appeal to every situation and business, from prototyping new vehicles to assembly line maintenance. The same is true for companies in the supply chain, as it gives them the opportunity to offer augmented reality experiences to users in their showrooms and interactive after-sales assistance services to their customers.
In detail, the main applications of AR in the automotive industry are:
- Design and prototyping: AR software can be used to improve and simplify the work of automotive designers and engineers, using augmented reality to create virtual vehicle models in real time or to design aerodynamic solutions or mechanical components.
- To improve assembly processes: AR can be used by production line staff to increase the speed and accuracy of vehicle assembly, for example by viewing assembly information directly at their workstations using AR headsets.
- To monitor production and identify problems: engineers can use AR to monitor production processes efficiently, even remotely through linking up with workers’ headsets, immediately identifying any problems and anticipating potential risk situations for technicians or the quality of the assembly process.
- To optimise training: it is possible to use AR technologies to improve training in the automotive sector through more immersive and interactive activities, for example, with experts who can guide users remotely and upload digital support content, while technicians can simulate assembly activities before activating the line.
- To support inspection, assistance and repairs: AR applications in the automotive industry include the remote assistance of field technicians, with experts who can support operators during inspections, technical assistance and equipment, vehicle and machinery repair, as well as the option to share data in real time and improve intervention quality.
- To improve vehicle safety and quality: sensor-based AR can be used to optimise testing, for example, by testing a new safety device by simulating a dangerous situation, using these technologies to improve vehicle quality and safety.
- To promote sales: AR technologies make it possible to improve vehicle sales processes, such as by offering customers the chance to personalise their cars using special AR headsets, a particularly effective option for medium high/end cars and in the sport/luxury cars sector.
Kiber Tech’s automotive industry solutions
Kiber 3 offers the opportunity to exploit the potential of augmented reality to the full in the automotive industry, thanks to a flexible, easy, smart and efficient AR solution. Perfectly integrated between hardware and software, wearable AR remote communication technology has been specially designed to empower the workforce in field operations, providing immediate skills and remote collaboration.
This all-in-one solution consists of the ATEX Zone 1 certified wearable Kiber 3 Kit device, the powerful Kiber 3 Web platform and the simple and intuitive Kiber 3 Field app. This allows Kiber 3 to meet any need within the automotive industry, from improving the work of field technicians to optimising training, inspection and maintenance.